Sephora Venites is a Brazilian-born actress, multidisciplinary designer, illustrator, painter, performer, model and television presenter.
Sephora Venites is a multidisciplinary artist whose practise spans film, performance, photography, painting, assemblage and digital art. She grew up in a small village surrounded by lush nature that we can find in her chromatic palette of bright and colourful tones. Her work focuses on the exploration of the female subjectivity, perception, experience, and interpretation of the world from a subject marked as feminine. Biocentrism and philosophy are the foundation of research and inspiration for most of her work. Her images are philosophical metaphors and spaces of interchange in which the viewer can read its meaning. The artist makes use of traditional techniques as well as digital media, exploring a diverse and almost unlimited mix of styles; shifting effortlessly between abstraction and figuration; foreshadowing aspects of conceptual art.
"The Brazilian artist is mainly focused on the perception rather than the experience, leaving room for something more risky but progressive. She lives art as a possibility to narrate the perception of the world; in this perspective, art does not reproduce what one sees but makes things visible. Her research is an investigation of human nature, its subjectivity, its being in the world, as well as its experiences and interpretations. She looks at artistic movements such as Dadaism and surrealism, whose influence emerges especially in her early works. She is still fascinated by these two artistic movements due to the dadaist extemporization and how the surrealists depict the unconscious and the dreamlike universe. Thus her research wants to represent a journey for the audience, a metaphorical one, in which to offer a new reading of reality and life."
Laura Francesca Di Trapani
Art historian and independent curator. Laura Francesca Di Trapani was born in Palermo, trained at the La Sapienza University of Rome.
- CABARET MÍSTICO – with Alejandro Jodorowsky. TEATRO TÍVOLI. Barcelona, ES, 2017.
- Machine Theater 2017 ( or theatre machine ) - The art of performing without set, director or rehearsals with Nassim Soleimanpour. (Teatro Máquina - A Arte de realizar peças sem ensaios. Nassim Soleimanpour. Sesc São Paulo, SP, Brasil.)
- Acting studies - Susan Batson Studio (USA). Susan Batson Studio. Sense memory technique. New York, NY, 2016.
- Workshop: Practical Improvisation based on the work of Viola Spolin and Keith Johnstone. With Dave Bourn (SPROUT IDEAS). At the actors centre/ (London, UK, 2014).
- Acting Characters with Paul Elsam. The Actors Centre (London, UK) 2014.
- Hamlet try out with Nassim Soleimanpour and Ramin Gray at Actors Touring Company [ATC]. London, UK, 2014.
- Improvised Singing: improvising and singing ability with Andrew Fisher. The Actors Centre (London, UK) 2014.
- The Imaginarium of the Actor, an acting method by Alejandro Catalán at OFICINA CULTURAL OSWALD DE ANDRADE (São Paulo, Brasil, 2013).
- "Not in the Theatre" by Nassim Soleimanpour - Sesc (São Paulo, Brasil, 2013)
- Lecture with Jan Harlan, Stanley Kubrick's producer at MIS - São Paulo Museum of Image and Sound (São Paulo, Brasil, 2013).
- Psychodramatic Theatre - Centro Cultural São Paulo, 2013.- Theater works, stage, 42 hours at Senac (São Paulo, Brasil, 2013).
- TV and Film Work with Miguel Rodrigues - (São Paulo, Brasil, 2013).
- Casting Directors Workshop (SPOTLIGHT, London, UK, 2012).
- Actors Studio - The Coach House - Pinewood Film Studios (London, UK, 2011).
- Actor Muscle with Beverly Leech - (Los Angeles, CA, 2011).
- American Academy of Dramatic Arts, Los Angeles, CA, 2011. Performance, the movement for the actor, voice and speech, vocal production, improvisation, musical theatre, the technique for the camera, test monologues, Alexander technique, dance and fencing.
- Workshop with Michael Kostroff - “Audition Psych 101″ (Los Angeles, CA, 2011).
- Acting studies - American Academy of Dramatic Arts (Los Angeles, CA, 2011).
- (2011) Beverly Leech, acting coach at American Academy of Dramatic Arts, Los Angeles (USA).
- THE MONO BOX - Improvisation, speech show backs & creative workshops ( 2014-2015/ London, UK).
- Atelier de artes e oficios com Marcio Mehiel (2010/2012) São Paulo - Brasil.
- Story and Screenplay Workshop by Robert Mckee - ( 2010 São Paulo, Brasil).
- Contemporary dance studio, KAIFU-LODGE (Hamburg, Germany, 2010).
- Actor's Training Course - Beto Silveira - Studio Beto Silveira - 1999 (São Paulo, Brasil).
- CLASSICAL MUSIC TRAINING - Conservatory of Music Renato Frateschi - 1989 - 1999 (Brasil).
- (2003) Cursos de Especialización | Diseño de Moda - Felicidad Duce. Introducción al Diseño de Moda. Barcelona, Spain.
- (2004 - 2007) COSTUME DESIGN - Institut Català de la Moda (Barcelona, Spain, 2007).
- (2009 - 2010) Escola São Paulo - Graphic Design and Illustration. São Paulo/SP, Brasil.
Public Activities. Awards:
- Woman Art Award in 2018. Dedicated to Sofonisba Anguissola. FUNDACION PONS. April 13-15, 2018. Madrid, ES.
- 58th International Art Exhibition of la Biennale di Venezia, Biennale Arte 2019 | Collateral Events - Venue: PALAZZO CA' ZENOBIO - Dorsoduro 2596. Part of "Thirst" - National Participations - Bangladesh (People’s Republic of).
- Unesco - The Division for Gender Equality - September/ 2020. Palazzo Velli Expo - Piazza di S. Egidio 10, Rome, Lazio, Italy. Since its inception over 70 years ago, UNESCO has been at the forefront of efforts to support women’s rights, women’s empowerment, and gender equality.
"Art is built upon the foundation of influence and perspective. Influence in the way that our surroundings and experiences impact our ability to construct our own ideas and what becomes of them. Perspective in the way that the artist or the observer sees the world and therefore perceives the art in a related context to it."
Sephora appeared on the TV series Mr Selfridge (2013), and film credits include the independent feature film 'Liquid Love' (2018) by Vitor Steinberg, loosely based on the book of the Polish-born sociologist Zygmunt Bauman, and the recent adaptation of Ibsen's Hedda Gabler, by Matthew John.
Commercial works include Natura's campaign 'Mulheres' and Santander's 'Daily Race' alongside F1 World Champion Sebastian Vettel.
On stage, Sephora worked with the acclaimed Iranian playwright Nassim Soleimanpour, first during the tour of "White Rabbit, Red Rabbit" in 2013 at the Theatre Sesc Vila Mariana, São Paulo. Also, in 2014 for the groundings and rehearsals of the thought-provoking "Blind Hamlet"; with the Actors Touring Company in London, UK.
In 2014, she made her debut as a television presenter hosting the program 'Cena Londres'; a Brazilian production from channel Bis, Globo Group. Exploring and covering the London music scene, the TV show featured artists like Cut Copy, Metronomy, The Hives, Molotov Jukebox, The Horrors, Little Dragon, Chet Faker, Anne Clark, Peggy Sue, Simian Mobile Disco, Atari Teenage Riot, Au Revoir Simone and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.
"For our first catalogue of 2021, our curators highlight new work by top emerging artists who are taking a cue from the icons of art history. Whether finding inspiration in the Impressionist landscapes of Monet or the bold street art of Basquiat, these talented artists are creating stunning works that will have a special place in your home for years to come."